About the recipes...

All recipes and ideas contain ingredients from the new IC diet "safe" list. Also, all ingredients are either low-oxalate content, or in small enough amounts where they can be considered low-oxalate. If there are any ingredients that don't fit these criteria, I have labled them, and you have the option to omit them from the dish. Enjoy!

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Thanksgiving...On The Side

Ever since I was a teenager, my extended family gathers at my Aunt's house for our annual Thanksgiving feast.  The eclectic group changes every year, but you can always count on amazing food, good conversation, and a warm inviting atmosphere.  This to me is what the holidays are all about.

Like I said in my previous post, this time of year also creates anxiety for myself and my fellow IC'ers.  Lucky for me, my Aunt loves for everyone to bring their own dish to contribute to the feast.  Two years ago, I started bringing my classic green bean cassarole, which to my surprise my cousins had never had before.  Prior to making the cassarole, I would plan on eating turkey and rolls since I didn't want to burden my Aunt with my special diet requests.  It finally dawned on me after getting married that I too could now bring a dish, since I was no longer considered one of the kids.  I'm glad I started doing this for two reasons, I could guarantee that I could eat more than just turkey and I was contributing a new dish to to mix!

Most Thanksgiving dishes can be IC safe, like the turkey, pumpkin pie, and stuffing.  However, not everyone makes things the same way, and something like stuffing can easily become a problem for IC'ers, especially if it's a sausage or cranberry stuffing.  Another problem dish for those who also follow the low-oxalate diet is mashed potatoes, which have a high oxalate content, and the celery that is usually included in most stuffing recipes.  So whether you are hosting Thanksgiving dinner or if you're planning on bringing a dish to someone else's feast, I want to share my favorite sides and dessert that are both IC safe and low-oxalate.

Jenny's Famous Green Bean Cassarole:
This recipe is actually based on the French's recipe that is printed on their French-Fried Onion box.  I always felt it was too soupy, so I tweaked their recipe by adding more green beans, and decreasing the amount of milk used.  Feel free to tweak to your liking!


10 3/4oz. can Campbell's Healthy Request Cream of Mushroom Soup
1/4-3/4 cup milk
1/8 tsp white pepper
4 cans green beans (14 1/2 oz. cans)
1 1/3 cup French's French Fried Onions


1) Mix soup, pepper, beans, and 1/4 cup milk in 1 1/2 qt. baking dish.  Add additional milk for desired consistancy 1/4 cup at a time.  Make sure milk does not exceed more than 3/4 cup total.  Stir in 2/3 cup onions.
2) bake at 350 covered for 30 minutes.
3) Stir and top with remaining 2/3 cup onions.  Bake uncovered 5 more minutes until onions are golden.
**I've never had a problem with French's Fried Onions, but if you feel you might, then omit onions from step 1, and top cassarole with breadcrumbs and some butter to help breadcrumbs brown.  Bake as above**

Herb-Apple Oven Stuffin':
8 Tbsp (1 stick) unsalted butter
1/2-1 medium yellow onion (use as much as you desire)
4 gala or fuji apples, peeled, cored and diced
2 Tbsp dried parsley
1/2 tsp each dried sage, thyme, marjoram
1/2 tsp white pepper
12 cups (1 loaf) Pepperidge Farm White Sandwhich Bread, dried and cut into 1/2" cubes
2 cups chicken broth
3 egg whites, beaten
1 tsp salt
**To dry bread, place each slice in a single layer on baking sheets and let sit overnight, then cut into cubes**


1) preheat oven to 400 degrees and butter 9x13 baking dish
2) heat butter in large skillet over medium-high heat. Reserve 2 Tbls after melted and set aside.  Add onion and cook until translucent.  (about 8 minutes) Stir in parsley, sage, thyme, and marjoram and cook for 1 more minute.  Stir in apples and cook until apples are warm, about 2 more minutes.  
3) Add bread cubes, broth, eggs, and salt to large mixing bowl.  Add onion, apple, herb mixture from pan.  Gently toss to combine.  Be careful not to over-stir, it can make the bread mushy.
4) transfer mixture to baking dish and spread evenly.  Drizzle reserved butter over top, cover with foil, and bake for 25 minutes.
5) Remove foil an bake 15-20 minutes longer until top is golden brown.
**serves 10-12**


Pumpkin Caramel Cheesecake:
Crust:
1 1/2 cups (30 cookies) crushed gingersnap cookies (I like to use food processor to crush)
1/4 cup butter, melted
Filling:
3 8oz. pkgs cream cheese, softened (use neufchatel cheese  for 33% lower fat option)
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 cup canned pumpkin puree
1/2 caramel topping (I buy this from whole foods in a jar)
3 Tbls. flour
3 eggs
Topping: (use recipe below to make topping, or you can use cool whip, or make without the topping)
1 cup whipping cream
2 Tbls brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla


1) heat oven to 350.  Spray bottom of 9-in springform pan with cooking spray.  Wrap foil on exterior of pan, make sure foil covers bottom and sides (this will prevent the water from seeping into pan during cooking).
2) In small bowl, stir crust ingredients until combined and press into bottom of pan.  Bake crust 10-12 minutes until set.
3) Meanwhile, in large bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth.  Beat in butter until creamy.  Gradually beat in sugar.  Beat pumpkin until blended.  Beat in caramel topping and flour.  Beat in eggs one at a time until blended.
4) Reduce oven to 325.  Pour filling into baked crust.  Place springform pan in large roasting pan.  Fill roasting pan 1/4 full with hot water.  Bake 1 hour 15 minutes to 1 hour 25 minutes until edge of cheesecake is set at least 2 inches from edge.  Center of cheesecake should still jiggle when moved.
5) cool in pan on cooling rack at least 30 minutes.  With sharp knife, loosen cheesecake from side of pan.  cover, and refrigerate at least 8 hours.  
6) For topping, beat cream, brown sugar, and vanilla in small bowl on high speed until soft peaks form.
7) To serve, remove side of springform pan and cut into wedges.  Serve with dollop of whipped cream topping on each wedge.   
   

2 comments:

  1. The Campbell soups are not good for IC patients they have chemicals which create acid to preserve items and the sodium... Plus most IC people are lactose intolerant, but everything sounds good, thanks for the recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi nico! The campbells soup i recomended is the healthy request, which is low sodium. Bev Lawman featured this type in her cookbook as being ok for ic patients. Its so hard because we're all different and the same things don't bother us all. Maybe you could try a different soup or a homemade one with this recipe. I dont have problems with dairy unless I have the high fat cream which can flare my ibs. I've never heard that most with ic are lactose intolerant, but i will keep this in mind when writing future posts. I'm glad you visted the blog, thank you!

    ReplyDelete