About the recipes...

All recipes and ideas contain ingredients from the new IC diet "safe" list. Also, all ingredients are either low-oxalate content, or in small enough amounts where they can be considered low-oxalate. If there are any ingredients that don't fit these criteria, I have labled them, and you have the option to omit them from the dish. Enjoy!

Monday, January 16, 2012

The Incredible Egg

I know when I've had a busy day, I get home and my dinner plan flies out the window.  I just don't feel like cooking.  My go-to quick dinner is usually breakfast.  I always have eggs and cheese on hand, breakfast is quick and easy to cook, and I find it's easily the most IC safe meal I can eat.  Also, a new FDA study has shown that eggs are lower in cholesterol than once believed, a good source of protein, and a good source of vitamin D as well.  Another great reason to eat your eggs!  So, instead of the usual scrambled eggs, why not try a breakfast burrito or creative omelet?

Breakfast Burrito (serves 1, but can easily be doubled or more!)
3 eggs (I use 1 full egg and 2 egg whites)
chopped red bell pepper
chopped mushrooms
chopped scallion (optional) or chives
shredded jack cheese (or whatever cheese you prefer)
1 flour quesadilla shell

1) Chop veggies and scallion, add to skillet and stir-fry with oil until soft and scallion is translucent.
2) Crack eggs, and whisk together.  Add eggs to cooked veggies and top with cheese.  Scramble eggs until cooked through and no longer runny.
3) Heat quesadilla shell as instructed on package.  Add egg mixture to shell, roll up, and serve.

Here's another easy egg recipe for a quick dinner, or even for those mornings when you don't have much time, but still want a hearty breakfast...

Microwave Coffee Cup Scramble: (1 serving-can easily be doubled or more)
2 eggs
2 Tbsp. milk
2 Tbsp. shredded jack cheese (or cheese of choice)
salt and pepper (if desired)

1) coat 12oz. microwave safe coffee mug with cooking spray.  Add eggs and milk.  Beat until blended.
2) Microwave on high 45 seconds, stir.  Microwave until eggs are almost set, 30-45 seconds longer.
3) Top with cheese and microwave 10 seconds longer until cheese is melted.  Season with salt and pepper.

What would breakfast be without sausage?  I know what you're thinking, "please don't tease me, I can't eat sausage."  A few years ago, I was hosting the family for a Christmas brunch.  I came across a sausage recipe in the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook that was in fact IC friendly.  I couldn't believe it.  First, I had never thought of making my own sausage, that was always something you bought.  Second, how good could it be without the spices?  Well, it was excellent, my husband and entire family gobbled it down, and even asked for the recipe.  I have since found another homemade sausage recipe that's a bit more traditional than the first, but still equally as good.  I usually make these over the weekend (or whenever I have free time) and freeze them individually so I can thaw and reheat quickly for a nice compliment to my quick breakfast dinners.

Apple Sausage Patties: (this is also low in fat if you use lean pork and egg whites!)
1 beaten egg white
1/4 cup finely chopped scallion (or onion if you can tolerate it)
1/2 cup finely chopped gala or fuji apple (can use pears if you can't tolerate apples)
3 Tbsp. quick-cooking oats
1 tsp. dried parsley
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground sage
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp pepper (can use white pepper)
1/2 pound lean ground pork

1) chop and sautee the scallion or onion until translucent.  Set aside.
2) In medium bowl, combine egg white, cooked onion, apple (or pear), oats, parsley, salt, sage, nutmeg, and pepper.  Add ground pork, mix well.  Shape mixture into eight 2" wide patties.
2) coat 10" non-stick skillet with cooking spray.  Cook patties over medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until meat is no longer pink and juices run clear, turning once.  Drain off fat and serve. 
**You can also cool and wrap each patty individually and freeze**

Homemade Breakfast Sausage:
2 pounds ground pork
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1 Tbsp. maple syrup
2 tsp. dried sage
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper (can also use white pepper)
2 Tbsp. butter


1) Combine pork, garlic powder, syrup, sage, thyme, salt, pepper in large bowl.  Mix with hands until combined.  Form mixture into 2 1/2" patties, about 1/2" thick.  Makes about 16 patties.
2) Melt 1 Tbsp. butter in large nonstick skillet over medium heat.  Cook half of patties until well browned and cooked through, 3-5 minutes per side.  Transfer to paper towel-lined plate and tent with foil.  Wipe out skillet and repeat with remaining butter and patties.  Serve, or let cool and wrap individually to freeze for later use.


You can even make one of the above sausage recipes, chop up the patty, and add to the breakfast burrito mixture for even more flavor.  I know these yummy recipes will add new life and flavor to your typical breakfast, or breakfast-for-dinner meals!

No comments:

Post a Comment